Each barrel bought from this listing for re-use will be tested to ensure that they are watertight and suitable for distilling drinks. We also check and pin all of the barrel’s steels bands to ensure that they are all fixed securely in place. Bungs are fitted tightly prior to transport.
Please allow up to one week for delivery to allow for this testing process.
James Godman, Head Brewer, Wilderness Brewery:
“We’ve bought a selection of wine barrels from Celtic Timber over the last few months as we’re setting up a barrel ageing and souring programme at our brewery in Newtown, Powys.
We’ve been very happy with the barrels we’ve picked up so far.
Currently, we are using a bank of Bordeaux Red Wine barrels to sour some Belgian farmhouse style beers that we have inoculated with a range of microorganisms including Brettanomyces and Lactobacillus. Our next plan is to produce some ‘native’ sour beers by fermenting in barrels using wild yeast and bacteria collected in the local hills. We are also planning some ‘clean’ aged beers using whisky barrels, as spirit barrels are much less likely to come with their own resident microbes”.
- Grade A Wine Barrels – Height – 950mm, Belly Diameter – 680mm , Top Diameter – 570mm Capacity – 55 gallon/225 litres
- Grade B Wine Barrels – Height – 890mm, Belly Diameter – 720mm , Top Diameter – 600mm Capacity – 55 gallon/225 litres
- 40 Gallon Oak Whisky Barrel: Height – 880mm, Belly Diameter – 630mm
- 55 Gallon Traditional Hogshead Oak Whisky Barrel: Height – 1020mm Belly diameter – 755mm
- 120 Gallon Butt Oak Whisky Barrel: Height – 1320mm, Belly diameter – 920mm, End diameter – 675mm